Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL) is a diverse business operating in the agriculture, food, energy and home and building sectors. Based in Saskatoon, Sask., FCL is owned by independent retail co-operatives from across Western Canada that are committed to local investment, community mindedness and lifetime membership benefits. FCL is involved in wholesaling and manufacturing, including refined fuels and lubricants. It also provides administrative and marketing support to its member-owners. For more information, visit www.fcl.crs.
The Co-operative Retailing System is a network composed of Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL) and over 200 independent retail co-operatives that help build, feed and fuel individuals and communities in Western Canada. From Vancouver Island to northwestern Ontario and into the Arctic, retail co-ops serve 1.8 million active members and many more customers at 2,500 locations. FCL centrally supplies and supports these retail co-ops. By working together under the CO-OP® brand, we are all committed to local investment, community mindedness and lifetime membership benefits. For more information, visit www.coopconnection.ca.
FCL invites applications for the position of Liquor Operations Specialist in our home office located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
The Liquor Operations Specialist provides operational support and guidance to Co-op’s Liquor Retails and FCL teams. The Liquor Operations Specialist is involved with the development, execution and valuation of programs focused on increasing retail liquor sales volumes, profit margins and efficiencies in the Co-operative Retailing System (CRS). This may include creative retailing strategies, standards, merchandising programs, procurement, marketing, and promotions. Approximate annual travel of 20% required.
Reporting to the Liquor Marketing and Operations Manager, responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Provide direction and support to Region teams, FCL departments and Retails focusing on key areas of store layout, central buying programs, inventory management, merchandising, pricing and LTOs, product sales, product education training, and supplier programming. Serve as a liaison between Co-op Liquor Retails and Liquor Jurisdictions on matters relating to policy and regulation.
- Assists and supports Liquor Store Managers in executing marketing/promotional programs, merchandising standards, improved sales, and margin enhancement in the liquor stores through supplier sponsored programs and other marketing initiatives. Work with Marketing & Communications regularly to ensure retails meet branding and regulation standards.
- Under the guidance of the Liquor Marketing & Operations Manager, develop merchandise strategies and plan-o-grams for standard retail plans based on appropriate strategies and tactics for each category.
- Develop and maintain supplier relationships and negotiate LTO and special buy programs. Collaborate with suppliers to identify areas of opportunity for new products and programs to achieve financial goals/margins.
- Utilize market intelligence to suggest programs that take advantage of market trends, industry insights, and innovation for competitive advantage.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have a University degree, preference for business and 5 to 7 years of liquor retailing experience. Liquor retail management experience would be an asset. Understanding of liquor regulations, preferably in multiple provinces, and experience working and engaging with suppliers in a retailing environment is required. Category management experience/training, wine and Spirit Training (WSET), and experience in developing planograms are assets.
A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
FCL offers a competitive salary, ongoing personal and professional development, and the opportunity to work with one of Western Canada's most successful organizations.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please Apply Online
or submit a detailed résumé in confidence on or before February 27, 2017 to: